- Tutorials on using the terminal
- Arduino – http://www.arduino.cc/
Makey Makey – http://makeymakey.com/
- Everything you need to know on the ITP Intro to Physical Computing Course – https://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/
- Electronics suppliers
Tools for Connecting things
- If this, then that – https://ifttt.com/dashboard
- Article on using IFTT with your own hardware – http://www.epanorama.net/newepa/2014/07/02/ifttt-and-your-own-hardware/
- Lithouse – Broker for connecting sensors to IFTT – http://developer.lithouse.co/
- Triggering things from the internet without Processing – tutorials here http://www.instructables.com/id/Triggering-IFTTT-from-Arduino-using-Lithouse/
- Connecting Processsing to Arduino (useful for connecting Arduino to the internet – via Processing) – https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/connecting-arduino-to-processing
- Python reference – https://www.python.org/
- Why Python is slow – https://jakevdp.github.io/blog/2014/05/09/why-python-is-slow/
Programming and Language
Stuff to get you inspired!
- Special Topics in Social Computing with Joanne McNeil, listen to these excellent conversations held at Eyebeam on topics such as digital labor, consensual communcation online, annonymity – essential listening. We will be going to one of these as our field trip.
- Benjamin Walker’s Theory of Everything podcast – the 5 part series called the Dislike Club
- Lauren Mccarthy at Eyeo – You Me and My Computer
- Brian House at Eyeo – https://vimeo.com/112238020
- Kyle McDonald at Eyeo – https://vimeo.com/50239840
- Social Justice and Data Panel at Eyeo- https://vimeo.com/72139924
- Panel on surveillance and security – Art as Evidence. A panel with Trevor Paglen, Jacob Appelbaum and Laura Poitras. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFPDMRfgfaE
- The Uses and Abuses of Big Data – A talk with Jussi Parikka, Kate Crawford, Mark Coté and Paolo Cirio. Moderated by Max Hoppenstedt, Motherboard. – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8FiMva1cig
- Her, 2013, directed by Spike Jones – preview here.
- Citizen Four, 2014, Laura Poitras – preview here.
- The Internet’s Own Boy, The Story of Aaron Swartz – here.
- Internet of Dreams – Joanne McNeil – http://internet-of-dreams.tumblr.com/
- We Make Money Not Art – http://we-make-money-not-art.com/
- BookTwo – James Bridle – http://booktwo.org/
- Rhizome – http://rhizome.org/?ref=header
Books on software studies, digital culture, social computing
- Mandiberg, M. (Ed.). (2012). The social media reader. NYU Press. Online here.
- Geoff Cox, 2012 – Speaking Code: Coding as Aesthetic and Political Expression (Software Studies)
- Alex Galloway, 2006 – Protocol: How Control Exists After Decentralization
- Sherry Turkle,2012 – Alone Together
- Jaron Lanier, 2013 – Who Owns the Future
- Chun, Wendy Hui Kyong. (2011) Programmed visions: Software and memory. Mit Press.
- Manovich, Lev. (2013) Software takes command. Vol. 5. A&C Black.
Texts on creative practice and experimental design
- Bishop, Claire. (2006). Participation (documents of contemporary art). The MIT Press. Introduction
- Dunne, Anthony. (2006). Hertzian tales: electronic products, aesthetic experience and critical design, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass.
- Dunne, Anthony, and Fiona Raby. (2001) Design noir: The secret life of electronic objects. Springer.